Call for applications for the Latvian state scholarships 2021/2022
State Education Development Agency (SEDA) welcomes citizens from eligible countries to apply for Latvian state scholarships and fellowships for research – deadline to submit an application is 1st of April 2021, and for scholarships for Summer schools – 1st of April.
I. Application conditions
Citizens from countries that have signed an agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian citizens can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. To see countries, citizens of which are eligible to apply for the scholarships, look at the section ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS.
Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home higher education institution or at a Latvian higher education institution, if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2021).
Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for one academic year – a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).
If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to re-apply for the Latvian scholarship. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than for two consecutive terms to one individual.
The academic year in Latvia lasts from 1st September to 30th June.
II. Application procedure
Students of BA School of Business and Finance! Please contact for support firstname.lastname@example.org – personnel record specialist will help you to do all the documentation!
Latvian state scholarships for academic year 2021/2022 are provided for foreign students, researchers and teaching staff.
Step 1. An applicant has to register in the system and make a profile with a unique login and password – Online application form
Step 2. After that an application form can be filled in on-line and necessary documents can be attached there as well. The system will require following documents to be uploaded – please see the picture.
*Abbreviation HEI reads as “higher education institution”
- CV Europass template
- Study plan form
All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English.
Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
If applicants are nominated by a competent authority of their countries – Ministry of Education, Agency for Education etc. –, they have to contact the authority and send application documents to the authority as well, if required.)
III. Financial provisions
The amount of the Latvian state scholarship for studies is:
- All study programmes in English at Latvian higher education institutions are not free of charge. The Latvian scholarship holder can use the scholarship for covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. Please take into account that the amount of the scholarship is not high enough to cover all expenses in Latvia.
- In limited numbers the host higher education institution provides the scholarship holder with a place in a students’ dormitory or a guesthouse.
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
- Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% from the total grant amount for study scholarships.
IV. Evaluation of applications and information on results
All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the evaluation committee of VIAA. Quality evaluation criteria is found here.
All candidates will receive an official decision sent by e-mail in June 2021 and will be available on the profile of the candidate on the on-line application system.
More information about scholarships, application conditions, procedure and financial provisions is provided under links below:
- Scholarship for Studies: SEDA
- Latvian Fellowships for Research: SEDA
- Latvian Scholarships for Summer Schools: SEDA
For support and assistance please contact email@example.com